Winter White Chili
|Prep time||45 minutes|
This colorful chili is medium on the spicy scale and will be a hit with kids and adults. It serves a crowd and is perfect for family or neighborhood get-togethers. Set out bowls of toppings so guests can customize their own bowl of chili.
- 2 T canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 4 Garlic cloves, minced
- 6 c (about 2 pounds) cooked chicken, chopped
- 2 cn (14.5 ounce) Libby’s® Whole Kernel Sweet Corn, drained
- 2 cn (15 ounce) Libby’s® Organic Garbanzo Beans, drained, rinsed, divided
- 2 cn (4.5-ounce) chopped green chiles
- 2 ct (32-ounce) fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 T Ground cumin
- 2 t Chili powder
- 1⁄2 t salt
- 1⁄2 t Black pepper
- 2 c 1% low-fat milk
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Monterey Jack cheese, grated (optional)
- Tortilla chips (optional)
Heat oil in large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, bell peppers and garlic; sauté 8 – 9 minutes. Add chicken, corn, 1 cup beans, chiles, broth, spices, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
Mash remaining beans with a fork. Add mashed beans and milk to the turkey mixture. Simmer, uncovered, 20-30 minutes or until mixture is thick, stirring frequently. Garnish with cilantro, cheese and chips.
Credit: Deanna Segrave-Daly, RD, LDN